Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Most Difficult Thing

I think a girl should have to endure.Yesterday I got a call from my brother.
My dad was bleeding, on the floor, not responding.
I get there.
Empty bottle of pills. (Tylenol).
My dad can barely respond with a simple nod of his head. Can not speak, can not open his eyes.
911 was called. He was taken to the hospital.
I will not explain until I am ready and if I feel it is appropriate for blogging as to what we found in his room.
My dad is now in a coma.
On life support.
Liver has completely failed.
Blood pressure very low.
Can't clot his own blood which means they can't start Dialisis until he can, can't put a small catheder into his scalp to relieve pressure of the brain until he can.
Will need a liver transplant.
The waiting list for those can be 45-60 days."If he makes it that long."-Doctor
Possible brain damage if he recovers.

Now to explain why Tylenol is so bad and the number one overdose people do.
Other medication (such as sleeping pills people try to overdose on) can be pumped out of the stomach, slept off, and off you go.
Tylenol and Aspril enter the blood stream and keep fighting at your body and effect your liver and muscles (your heart is a muscle).
The medication to counter-act what the Tylenol does will not work because it had been in his system for too long.
We didn't know he took the pills until around 10:30 yesterday morning, we are sure he took them sometime before 1 in the morning (when he was found).
My brother thought he had just been drinking and helped him to bed.We later find out when he seems he fell off the bed (and was bleeding) that he had taken the whole bottle of pills.
Tylenol levels are very very high.
I am not asking for sympathy, as I have that in my family, I am not asking for people to feel sorry for me.
All I ask is that if you read this, to PLEASE pray for my dad.
He really is a good guy and this is very much so out of character for him.
Please pray for him everytime you think of me. Please pray for him even if you never met him (I assure you you would have seen what a strong, SMART, corageous person he was).
Please pray for him if only for one brief second.That's the most I can ask from you guys, my friends.
Thank you so much and if anyone feels they wish to talk to me, I will have my cell, I'll be at the hospital all day.

4 comments:

Jess said...

Oh my goodness. He is in my thoughts and prayers Katie. You all are.

Toni said...

Hi Katie,
I am so sorry you are going through this. If it is any consolence I know what you are going through because I found Nathan almost dead on the ground and the doctors didn't think he would make it either. I know this is probably such a hard time for you but we will definitely keep you all in our prays. Stay strong and know you have a lot of support behing you.

Toni said...

Katie,
My heart goes out to all of you. We will keep all of you in our prayers. Give your mom a hug for me.
Love ya,
Lucy

Anonymous said...

From: Ash
My katie lynn,
I love you more than you know and I am planning a way to get to AZ ASAP! I read that lee is coming too. Please please please call me if you need me before i get there, I love you with all my heart. I will talk to you in the morning.
Im still praying!!!!!!!!!
Love forever,
ash